Introduction to Chemistry
Chemistry is the study of the particles that make up matter and the changes the particles can undergo.
Classify the branches of chemistry
Branches of chemistry are;
- Analytical ; this branch of chemistry investigates what substances are made of. It helps chemists to identify chemicals that are present is the sample and measure their quantity.
- Biochemistry; this is the field of chemistry that deals with the study of the chemical nature of the living matter. It investigates the chemical compounds and energy changes in living system.
- Inorganic; is the study of compounds that do not contain carbon except carbonates.
- Physical Chemistry ; is the study of physical characteristics of materials and how they react to each other.
- Organic chemistry; is the study of substances that contains carbon.
The importance of chemistry.
- Agriculture; Farmers use fertilizers made from chemical elements such as nitrogen, phosphorous to improve soil quality.
- Industry e.g.in mining, chemistry is applied in the extraction of metals such as copper from copper ores.
- Plastics; are made from crude oil or coal.
- Medicine; in the manufacture of drugs from plants, chemical processes are used.
- Home use e.g. detergents and household soaps are designed to do the best job possible from the knowledge
The challenge of chemical industrial activities
Production of undesired harmful by-products such as sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide harm environment.